Monday 14 April 2014

Slight Overestimation Of My Capabilities

So I was going to FMQ some circles over my Dresden Plates. Sounded simple enough and given that I now have a round FMQ foot this should have been a breeze. Well, you should have seen me yesterday...tried to circle around the center circle. I normally can echo around shapes with no problems...maybe not always 100% consistently but close enough. This though drove me to distraction...could not keep up a 1/4 echo, no matter how hard I tried. Changed the foot to the Echo FMQ foot that I got which involved dismantling the shank of the machine. Also did not work for me...back to my round foot...and so it went on.

I reckon it has to do with going over multiple colours and patterns...normally I echo around a shape that is surrounded by one colour...so I can focus on my foot and the distance that I am echoing. In this piece, every time I hit a new fabric, it threw me...maybe my brain just cannot handle it. After a while I tried drawing the circles in...ha, went through half the kitchen cupboard to find suitable circles! This happens every time I need to stitch circles on something.

On Sunday I had enough and went out and bought a stack of circle templates.  Beautiful, a whole pack of 9 ready made circles...that fixed the problem (I think!)...should have done this ages ago.


I did the outer circle with the walking foot and once I got the templates drew on the center circle. Tomorrow I will FMQ this and then echo this around the outside of the center circle. I think that is all I am going to do on the plate.

Linking up to Anything Goes Linky Party at Stitch by Stitch

Karin

5 comments:

  1. Hallo Karin,

    es schaut super aus...eine tolle Arbeit!

    Liebe Grüße Klaudia
    ...☆ ☾*.☆¸.•´¯)☆¸..•°*°•..☆ღ

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job. Circles are really the hardest to keep even.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think circles are hard no matter what you're doing with them. So easy to throw them out of whack. I like how you've quilted the Dresden plates. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful. Sometimes its best to just admit you have a problem and then attack it with determination!!! Hehe. Cant wait to see this finished!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts