Sunday 1 May 2016

WIP: Wholecloth - Grid work

Well, I don't think I am going to get much done for the June FAL 2016. Had a long list of things, but the Wholecloth is taking a long time. That is the problem with FMQ...you don't seem to be able to produce a lot of quilts if you are immersed in this level of detail. Always struggle with that...however, I have a plan for the next two month which should see me finish this project and the Mandala Mini quilt that I had planned.

Anyway...finally got to the stage of filling the grids...was really looking forward to this.

Stitched out the Cathedral Window design. Love this design...so relaxing!
Stitched this over a couple of nights using Aurifil 50/2 (#2000) thread. Really like the texture this has produced.

Next I tackled the diamonds. Here I am using a repetitive line design and a bit of a loop to get from one spot to the next.
You would think that this is enough to drive you around the bend, however I did not mind it too much as there was a fair bit of variation, i.e. the lines change direction in every triangle. Bit of concentration needed for that one and by no means all perfect. Lots of wonky lines and 'close enough is good enough' which I am really happy about...I think I am finally at a point where I can just let that go... (to an extent, of course!). If you are ever looking for a design that really flattens the surrounds, this is certainly a good one for that.

Looking at the whole piece I am realising that I had not thought the grid work through that well
I now have the tight and flattening design in the right corner next to the twisted clams grid. If I now do more repetitive lines in the Twisted Clams grid, I will have the whole bottom part really tight and flat. In comparison, on top in the left corner I have the Cathedral Window which looks relatively open...then there is the Twisted Grid in the top right corner...not really sure what to fill that with...
Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, on with the show...I have got so much more to fill!


Karin

7 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous! I think you have struck the right balance with close enough is good enough. It is the overall look that everyone will see, not every tiny detail. For the curvy grid in the upper corner, you might fill every other one (checkerboard pattern) with a fill. It could even be tiny meander. This is going to be a show stopper when it is done. Cindy Needham would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....absolutely gorgeous. I think you've made great progress. I'm impressed how much you have done in such a short time. Yes, Cindy would be very proud of you.

    Looks like an award winning quilt in the making to me!

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally fabulous! I run into issues like this fairly often, I'm sure making myself spend more time planning the whole thing out would help, but I'm always wanting to get right to the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally fabulous! I run into issues like this fairly often, I'm sure making myself spend more time planning the whole thing out would help, but I'm always wanting to get right to the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking amazing and it is great following your progress. Love the Cathedral Window and Diamond quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Karin. I love what you have done with triangle but also I agree with your thought of that place. Love that centre medallion!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts