Monday 23 June 2014

Graph Paper Quilt Along 2

After some frustration with my Whole cloth quilt, I spent some time earlier in the week to cut up a whole lot of country fabric and got a bit excited...it actually did make a dent in the stash.

Using up my stash

Love this dandelion fabric
I left them sorted into their colours, put them in little zipper bags, and with a quilt diagram next to the sewing machine started to sew the squares together. So relaxing and calming...just quietly following the quilt diagram.

Making a start

See that little tool next to the quilt diagram...this is my finger pressing helper. As I went through, I pressed the seams with this gadget, so that I did not have to get up at all. I chain pieced my squares together ...squares of several rows at a time, stopped, then put sections of individual rows together, then the row and so forth.

Not getting up to press the seams with the iron made this a very quick process. As I went along I marked any changes in fabric on my quilt diagram to avoid confusion as I sometimes did not have enough pieces to complete the plus (was not quite that organised in cutting up my stash).


Finished it today

Very happy with the outcome. Just need to sew the rows together now. The quilt will measure about 49" x 55" if I do not attach a border.

Linking up to Anything Goes Monday  over at Stitch by Stitch and the Graph Paper Quilt Along at Fabric Mutt

Until next time

Karin

4 comments:

  1. What a great stash project! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to use your stash - I love plus quilts. I haven't used a finger presser. With that tool, your corners still line up well? It would be such a time saver to iron the seams when the small squares are sewn first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pressing tool -- such a great idea. Isn't it amazing how soothing it is to sew those squares together? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dandelion fabric too, very pretty. Love faerie wishes (dandelions) and the bees are cute too.
    Your quilt looks brilliant, love the colour patches. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts