What I was going to try out and show you was something I had seen on Natalia Bonner's YouTube channel. Loved the look of it (you can find it in the Shorts section under the title 'Less is More...Who am I?)...In the video she is stitching out a seemingly very simple design on a quilt that has alternating four patch blocks and white empty blocks. It looks really crisp and fresh and it appealed to me straight away as it is particularly suited for such a simple, yet effective layout.
So I tried this on a piece of scrap fabric to see how easy (or not) it would be to just stitch this out with some rulers and freehand with some minimal marking. Also used this to free up some half filled bobbins and kept going with a bit of a feather spray on top...that bobbin just kept on going! Natalia, of course, is using her new Sway rulers for this task. As I do not have them, I used my trusted small Pro Echo ruler but also the long Bernina ruler which came with the ruler table when I still had the frame. Kept this as a souvenir.
I could have used the longer Bernina ruler for the entire task (except the circle in the middle of the second block) but found that the smaller Pro Echo ruler was more convenient to do some simple curves.
I did this from memory and did some simple Nine Patch blocks when in fact Natalia's demonstration was based on Four Patch blocks as I saw when I watched the video again. Never mind!My drawn squares were 6in and I was curious how I would go adding the petals around the flower in an orderly way. I made the circle of the flower 2in which in retrospect was a bit too small. Looking back at Natalia's video I reckon the circle is something like 2-1/2in. Not that you have to follow exactly what somebody else does, however I did find my petals a bit too long as it was a harder to keep them nice and straight. The other thing learned was that you should not turn your piece around as you go around the circle. Firstly, you would not be doing that anyway if you have a larger quilt under your machine, but I also found that it messed with my brain. It was far easier to have it not turning and slowly but deliberately move around the circle.
Turned out ok for very little effort in terms of marking, basically you just need to know where the center of the block is and have a circle guideline for the outside and off you go...easy to do and an effective way to dress up a very traditional layout. While there are a few inconsistencies, I don't think that would feature a lot if you had this design in every alternate block over an entire quilt. I had a bit of uneveness in terms of the size of the petals in the bottom but overall not too bad. If this was a quilt, I would probably leave that and try to do the next one a bit more even.
Turned out ok for very little effort in terms of marking, basically you just need to know where the center of the block is and have a circle guideline for the outside and off you go...easy to do and an effective way to dress up a very traditional layout. While there are a few inconsistencies, I don't think that would feature a lot if you had this design in every alternate block over an entire quilt. I had a bit of uneveness in terms of the size of the petals in the bottom but overall not too bad. If this was a quilt, I would probably leave that and try to do the next one a bit more even.
Happy Quilting!
Karin




No comments:
Post a Comment
Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.