Monday 3 February 2014

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2: Playing With Decorative Stitches

Continuing my exploration of the new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2
Had a play on the machine trying out a variety of decorative stitches. I do not use them often but again, like every year, am thinking that I should design a project that uses some of them. Actually usually I think about it at Christmas...have seen a number of wall hangings of Christmas baubles where the decorative stitching is used to great effect. Maybe this year I will manage to do one of them.

Here is a very small selection


Like its predecessor, the Pfaff 4.0, the Pfaff 4.2 has 9mm stitches. The Pfaff 4.0 has 222 stitches plus 3 alphabets, whereas the Pfaff 4.2 has 254 stitches and 3 alphabets. In my little sample I tried some of the newer stitches (no. 2 - 6 from the left) as well as some of the ones that I already knew and liked. Some of the settings on some stitches have changed, i.e. the stitches I knew came up slightly bigger, or more stretched, but all of that can obviously be changed to whatever you require. Did some sequencing (houses and trees and the naughts and crosses stitch) and had to laugh...made the same mistake I did when I first tried it and included an additional circle in the naughts and crosses at the end.

Also played with some mirroring...not something I have done in the past as I am not very good at lining the decorative stitches up. Was quite amazed though...if you look at the stitch  no.4 from the right...it actually looks quite good when it is slightly off. Also tried the stippling stitch again and discovered new possibilities. Given my inability to line them up properly, putting the stitch side by side produces a very nice band of stippling. This actually gave me some ideas...I am thinking of making a white Table Runner where I combine FMQ, decorative stitching and lace. This band of stippling would look great going over a block. Have a look at The Knitting Quilter's post where she is using a band with various designs on her quilt. That looks really nice.

I have another microstitch on the machine which looks a bit like zippling which would also be useful for this effect.

This is obviously a very small sample...I think I only have about 24 stitches on here and it does not include the tapering function which again opens new possibilities...

Heading over to Mamma Nene's Serger Pepper who is co-hosting Marelize's  Anything Goes Linky Party

Now back to quilting

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts