Monday 17 February 2014

Progress on Dresden Plates

Steadily working away on piecing these small wedges together started this last week... see also my previous post 'Going off on a tangent...again'!

 
Then of course realised I needed some background fabric...and something for the border. Wanted some dark fabric for the background but could not find anything suitable, so went for a tone-on-tone beige background. Then found the red fabric that sort of goes with the red in the wedges...


That is as close as I could come to matching the red. This Jelly Roll - French General from Moda is very tricky to match, I must say.

Did I say Quick Fix project before? Well, I then went ahead and centred the plate on my background fabric, basting the plate in the middle to the background fabric and securing the spokes with a bit of fabric glue. Initially I tried to sew it on with an invisible thread using a very small zig-zag stitch. Did not like it at all ...maybe I did something wrong but it looked very obvious and so I proceeded to stitch the plate on by hand.


This is how far I got ...2 more to go and then I need to figure out how to get the centre exactly where I want it to be...this should be interesting. Intending to also sew the centre on by hand...just looks neater, I think.

Wow, a bit very colourful...maybe a bit too much going on here. But I am happy to report I used up lots of remaining Jelly Roll strips, but still got enough variety for another small project, I think.

Linking up to Anything Goes Linky Party at Stitch by Stitch

Karin

4 comments:

  1. Reds can be very hard to match! You did a great job...love the border and background. These are just lovely Dresdens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that is one impressive Dresden Plate! I adore how you alternated between the lights and the reds! Very sophisticated!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My long time teaching mentor, Mary Ellen Hopkins, insisted that all reds go together -- not everyone agrees, but I think it makes a piece more interesting! Your plates are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your Dresden project! It's really lovely the way the prints work together, and I agree--all reds go together, especially when there are a lot of them!

    When I did my Dresden Plate quilt (here, if you'd like to see! http://bit.ly/1m2KAoH), I cut the centers from freezer paper, ironed it on the reverse side of the fabric for the centers and then cut around it leaving a 1/4" allowance. I turned the seam allowance under, probably used water soluble glue to hold it there, and then folded the circle in half in each direction and creased it gently. Then I could line up the creases with the seams between the Dresden blades, pin it in place and then applique it down. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts