Wednesday 12 November 2014

WIP: 99 Hexagons

Completed the main quilting and just have the outer border left





Quite like how this turned out. Initially I thought that this would look a bit bla...however I stuck with the initial decision to do some dot-to-dot quilting and as I went along it grew on me. The flower design in the black hexagons just gives it that little bit extra without being over-powering, I think (idea from Angela Walter's new book Shape by Shape). I used my favourite thread, Aurifil 50/2 in a ever so slightly variegated yellow (No 3920) from Sheena Norquay's Autumn collection. This was just the right thread, adding a bit of interest through the black hexagons and in the inner border.

Bit stuck now as I am not sure how to do the outer flower border. I could go around some of the flowers but there are too many and I can just see how confused I would be getting in selecting some of them. Just stippling maybe, given that this is very bright and colourful fabric and the quilting will not really be seen anyway. Very undecided about this one, but would like to try something a bit different to what I usually do. Will continue to look at it...it will come to me eventually.

Linking up to Linky Tuesday with Connie at Freemotion By The River and Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story.


Karin

4 comments:

  1. This has turned out so well and your quilting is gorgeous. I would probably just go with a meandering flower design in the border. I know what you are going through - l am so bad a choosing quilting designs. It takes me longer to make that decision than it does to make a quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sophisticated quilting, the yellow pops up from the black hexagons just perfectly. As you say an overall design is just suitable for the outer border fabric - fun to see what you come up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt you will come up with something gorgeous for the boarder! I like the leafy vine.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts