Wednesday 3 April 2019

Another Baby Quilt!

This must be the year for babies...I am in need of another baby quilt! I only got baby girl quilts that are already finished, so I was looking for a very quick project that I could just throw together. Initially I was looking for a panel, but could not find anything that I really liked. When I was at a recent quilt show, I discovered a packet of fabric, already cut up into 6 1/2in strips. Bought that and cut it up into squares and just mixed some applique hearts with it. 

Presto...done!
Very blue and cutesy.  Planning on doing a clamshell design over it that I can stitch out with the HQ Versa tool. Prepared everything ready for basting today, so this should be finished in the next 2 weeks. 
Apart from that, dragging my feet. Still have to put my quilt show entry in...currently sewing on the binding and will then get on to all the paper work. I have had some time off work, but now have gone back to my regular working hours. This was supposed to be leading into retirement, however as I have found out, I am just not ready. So, it's back to work for me for a while...not sure, how long, but I am confident I will know when it's time to quit for good.

Today I also got side tracked again...I am just so distractible. Have been searching the internet for a while for tutorials on jelly roll rugs and rugs that are made by braiding fabric strips. Today I came across a really nice You Tube video called 'Weekend Project - The Camden Bowl' by Mom and Pop Quilt Shop. I have seen this fabric bowl at my local sewing shop before...it follows the same principles as the jelly roll rugs, so I started watching this. The woman in the video is hilarious...I laughed out loud a couple of times...very humorous and thoroughly enjoyable! She made it look quite easy and her casual way of putting things together really appealed to me, so I got straight into this and tried it out.

First attempt at just getting the method down...very enjoyable indeed!
yep, I got hooked straight away, so I will try this out in the next few weeks. Still have some leftover jelly roll from French General, so I will use those strips for this to make the bowl. Like the idea of using bits and pieces of leftover batting and fabric. Also have seen bags made out of this and will need to investigate this further as even this little piece that I constructed is unbelievably sturdy, hence really useful for bags. I am also thinking that I may not need a lining if I use this for a bag, but we shall see. 
 
Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts