Thursday 10 March 2022

All About Colour

Working on a new pattern.

I had this owl print for a while. Liked the cute animal characters on there and also thought that it would be easy to match colours to it. Well, it was not...took me a while to work out what to do with this. Every now and then I took it out, thought about it, tried a few different things and put it away. Did not want this to come out too dark and too bold. The fabric proved rather difficult as you have the dark grey mixed with the pale coloured owls.

So I started with the pattern and decided to lighten it up with the pale yellow sashings around the owls. That was a winner. Then it was back to the drawing board of EQ8 trying different surrounding colours. In the end I decided on orange and grey, however did not have the right shades in my stash. In fact, was quite unsure about the shading. Had a lighter grey in my stash which looked positively awful in this arrangement. Again, put it away for a while...

Then one of these days I was at the fabric shop (without the owl fabric) and was just looking around and picked the orange on impulse. I knew I needed an orange that was not fully saturated but also not so light that it looked washed out. It needed to pop a bit to make this into a bright and cheerful quilt. In addition I felt I needed a lighter grey that matched the grey of one of the owls on the fabric to pull it all together, but had little hope of matching this without the fabric at hand. Bought the orange and grey anyway and was preparing myself for a mismatch.

Well, the planets did align that day and when I came home, it was absolutely perfect and the new pattern was ready to go.

Really like this colour combination and cannot believe how long it took to get there.

Have the quilt top finished, just need to baste and quilt, then it's onto writing the pattern up. This should look really nice. Still a bit undecided whether to add a border or not, but will sit on that for a moment or two.

Karin

2 comments:

  1. You have such a great eye for color. I would have never thought of this combo, but I absolutely love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting use of that cute owl print! The yellow strips and solid colored four-patches are great for making the novelty print appear less busy, and giving your eye a place to rest. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts