Wednesday 26 July 2023

To Do Tuesday #30

Missed a week...seems to always go so fast and I felt that I needed to finish something before linking up again.

My list was as follows:
- finish off my sock
- write another blog post on my new pattern which I did not get around to this week
- make a start on the wholecloth table runner as I do need to start preparing for a workshop in September; maybe just get the basting done at the very least.
- continue sewing my scrap blocks together.

Well, I did finish my socks and they are looking rather good
Could say that I planned the orange colouring this way, but no...that just happened by coincidence. Did wear them in the week and washed them since then. All good, still fit! Did a whole lot more research into sock knitting and sizing and am planning another pair.

On the quilting front, I did manage to finish one of my scrap tops. Took a bit longer because my initial layout needed to be extended by one row. I had 9 blocks by 10 rows which looked somewhat odd to me so I did need to construct another row which I finished today. This has taken much longer than anticipated due to the matching of the seams and general lack of motivation, but its done.

Absolutely crazy amount of scrap fabric! The quilt will come out at 54in x 66in, so quite a good size for a throw for the sofa. I am now going to piece a backing together. Again, this took a while to decide what exactly to use but in the end I decided to use up one particular green blender, complemented by another greenish print. Will have to wash the fabric as I cannot remember whether I have done this before or not.
Planning to use my Baptist Fan rulers on this one which should be good fun. We shall see how long it will take me to get this done. Struggling a bit with motivation to do anything at the moment and am always surprised how much quicker things get done when I am actually doing it! Might be the weather over here...it's been miserable, cold and very rainy. On top of that we have been doing a fair amount of running around, going to different appointments, taking our cat to the vet due to a thyroid issue, looking after my daughter's cats while she was away, car shopping with my other daughter etc.

My second scrap quilt should be quicker as I am not going to match seam for seam, so I am hoping to bang this together a bit more quickly.

Also made a start on my table runner
Not really happy with how I did the feather in the middle, something went wrong with my guidelines on the side. Should have chosen a more uniform guide that follows the divisions, I think. Live and learn. However, this is just for show and tell in the workshop, so I am not going to worry too much about it. As the surrounds will be filled in it might just all blend together and it might be a good example of how not to do your guidelines for the feather spray. Still a fair amount of filling in to do...hopefully I will get this done over the next couple of weeks.

Apart from that I did baste together a small Growth Chart quilt for my Etsy shop, however did not take a photo. But basically that it also ready to be quilted.

So, plenty of stuff to do, might just have to work on my motivation a bit. Hopefully the household will calm down a bit and we can get back to our normal routine.

So, what am I planning? Maybe for the next week I will
- make a start on a new sock pattern
- make a start on the second scrap quilt just sewing the blocks together
- continue on the table runner, i.e. filling in the background...there will be a bit of a grid, a rainbow pebble filler and a more boxy filler, then some pebbling and lines around the feather structure
- start on the handout for the workshop (wishful thinking??)

Linking up to To Do Tuesday #30 over at Quilt Schmilt.


Karin

5 comments:

  1. Cute scrappy throw quilt! But there certainly are a lot of seams to match. But good job, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Tuesday comes around so quickly that I end up skipping occasionally as well. The socks aren't just good, they're gorgeous!! Good luck on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karin, I think you are very productive! I love your pretty socks and how perfect they turned out. What a great skill that is! I also love the scrappy quilt. And the learning through practice which at my advanced age, is still the order of the day. Nothing is perfect here! Happy Stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your socks turned out amazing, Karin! Great job on the scrappy throw quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have scraps and scraps and scraps----I like your simple idea of a way to use them up.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts