Wednesday 25 July 2012

Quilt Along #23 - Bare Branches

Last week's task in Leah Day's Quilt Along Wednesday was a design called Bare Branches. This is a different type of design that requires some backtracking.

Here is the result:


Not too bad, a bit sloppy on some of the backtracking, but overall quite manageable. Needs quite a bit of concentration to execute.

My question this week relates to my quilt that I am using for practice. I constructed this out of squares with some sashing in between. To stabilise this, I quilted all of the squares along the ditch ...now that I am quilting the squares I am getting puckers where it meets the quilting-in the ditch.  

Here is a close up - a bit hard to see as the photo is not the best quality but the pucker is in the left corner where the Bare Branch design extends a bit too far into the corner.


- should I have quilted in-the ditch of all the squares or should I just have had maybe one vertical and one horizontal line to stabilise the quilt and then commenced the FMQ in the squares (as some books suggest)?
-or, is this maybe the result of not adequately basting the whole affair (as the squares are a bit puffed out) ?

I am now thinking that I maybe should not have quilted in-the ditch at all and just FMQ the squares one by one. As you can see I am a bit confused about this.
Until next time

Karin

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure Leah will post a good answer to your question - but in my experience I get puckers like that if I haven't used enough pins when I baste and everything shifts on me. You did a nice job with the quilting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you might be right

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have noticed that pucker if you hadn't pointed it out. But I totally understand. We want it to be as perfect as possible. Great stitching and I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying very hard to let it go and promised myself not to undo it. It is not that noticeable but I put it up there because it really wants to pucker up every time I approach the corners. Bit of a hassle. Don't usually have issues with puckering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great - sorry about the puckering. If it makes you feel any better, I had a hard time telling where it is even with the close up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks...I am actually getting better with letting those things go because it really puts in a barrier for you to try and extend yourself. And like you said, most people won't even notice it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work looks wonderful and I wouldn't have noticed the pucker if you hadn't pointed it out. If this was a quilt, once it was washed and dried it wouldn't even show up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you are right. By the way, had a look at your blog...you have just gained a new follower. So much to look at. Will have to explore in greater detail in the next few days.

    Greetings from Down Under

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts