Monday 2 September 2013

WIP: Playing with Colours

My WIP: Playing with Colours is coming along.

Finished all the stitching-in-the-ditch along the major seam lines with invisible thread. As I did not want to go out and purchase new batting, I used what I had which was an entire bag of bamboo batting. I know I said I would not use it again, but really, I was not just going to waste it either. I now believe that I might have made a mistake with placing the bamboo batting in the last piece (which produced an enormous amount of bearding)...this time I placed the batting with the bonded side up and I have noticed that I have hardly any bearding (mind you I also have not quilted it densely).

 
 In terms of the quilting I got very confused there for a while in terms of what to do...overall quilting would have worked but I had just done that on another piece, so thought that I better to do something else. Having completed the stitching-in-the-ditch I am now thinking...ok, that is it for a while again...this has reminded me of how painful I am finding this. Then I laboured over what to do next...in the end,  the deciding factor for me is what I want his to feel like.

At the moment it is nice and fluffy. Quilting only the white sections really densely with a filler would make this appear unevenly quilted and looking at quilting allover the coloured sections would present me with the dilemma of what thread colour to choose. Besides I do believe that this then would turn out too busy. It is unbelievable how difficult this can get...

Anyway, I decided in the end that I would place a simple heart motif in the white sections. This will be light enough not to make this whole quilt top unevenly quilted but on the other hand, add some interest and in addition, I can also take that right into the edge of this quilt by halving the design (so as to maintain consistency). I think this will look good and will not distract from the pieced blocks which are really the main focus of this quilt.

Another little thing I produced last week...finally! Winter is almost over but I managed to sew up 2 more wheat bags. That took me about half an hour...very simple to construct and the only major hold up is getting all the wheat in the bag (particularly if you left the opening a bit small).

In terms of size, I make them approximately 15in long and about 5in wide. I get the wheat filling suitable for a wheat bag from the market at one of the health food stalls...they sell all sorts of goodies there including the filling.


So, now that I have completed this, the weather really warmed up and spring is in the air. Never mind...there's always next year.

Linking up to Anything Goes Linky Party at Stitch by Stitch


Karin

4 comments:

  1. Love the primary colours in your quilt. I have used bamboo batting before and not had a problem with bearding. Maybe you just had a bad batch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors of your quilt too! I think hearts in the white is a good choice.
    I wonder, I never saw or used a wheat bag. How do you use it!

    Loves from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors in your quilt. I think hearts would look lovely in the white parts. Anxious to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin, it is going to be cold and wet on Friday and Saturday so the wheat bags will still be needed.
    Love the quilt, it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts