Wednesday 26 August 2020

9 Patchalong With Natalia Bonner

Where is the time going...

I finished my Lana Lemur quilt and now am working on a nine patch quilt for Natalia Bonner's 9 Patchalong. This is going to start on 1st September  with Natalia showcasing new designs using her rulers every Tuesday and Thursday on YouTube. There is a FB group you can join to showcase your work and have a look what others are doing (already there are a few variations on this quilt top).

I am stitching along with a friend to further hone in on my ruler quilting skills. I think so far I have done about three ruler practice quilts, trying out different rulers and techniques. Find this very useful in terms of just focusing in on accuracy and how to hold a ruler for best results. 

So, I managed to get that quilt top together and am currently stitching in the ditch with a straight ruler.
I am using clear Monofilament thread in the top and a prewound in the bobbin. The Capri is behaving nicely and I am practising using the stitch regulator for this task. Must say it really makes a difference in how this looks on the back of the quilt. Quite impressed with that...looks so much neater compared to when I do this task in Manual mode.
I am looking forward to this stitchalong. Natalia's designs are always very straightforward, but quite clever in the way she uses them to dress up blocks in a quilt. While I do not have her rulers, I think I have enough rulers to match what she is doing on the quilt, basically using a straight and a few curved rulers. Already Natalia has posted designs for the sashings and the borders which I do quite like, particularly the scalloped border design. Looking forward to this.

Linking up to Cheeky Cognoscenti for her weekly Long Arm Learning Linky Party.

Karin

5 comments:

  1. Neat that you're all ready to go! I'm going to enjoy watching your progress, Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting! Do you have any idea what kind of designs you'll be stitching -- has she shown what the finished piece looks like somewhere? I did follow your link to her site and saw the materials list etc. but didn't notice any photo or descriptions of the quilt designs. I really need to do some of these skill-building QALs, but at the moment my focus is on whacking some of my older UFOs off my conscience. I'll be looking forward to seeing this one "virtually" through your progress! And I love your pretty plums and navys. Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to watching your progress virtually too! I drooled over the colors that you pieced together. Nine patches are a comfort block to me and I never tire of seeing them or making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your peace of mind knowing that things were done in preparation for September! Go you! I hope you have fun with the QAL. I think you are wise to use the rulers you have at the present, too. Rulers that work well for one person are necessarily what the next person loves, and they're quite an investment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep wanting to do one of the various quilting alongs on the web. One of these days, it might actually fit into my schedule!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts