Saturday 25 January 2014

Dynamic Spring Foot

I have not had that much time to play with the new machine, however I did manage to squeeze in a play session with that new Dynamic Spring foot.

For readers familiar with the Pfaff machines, it does look like the open-toe spring loaded foot in its design, however is obviously round rather than square. Now the the manual says that the Dynamic Spring foot measures the fabric thickness and will raise and lower with each stitch to hold the fabric on the needle plate while the stitch is being formed. It certainly raises and lowers but I am not sure how it would work out the thickness of the fabric. If you look closely it also has that little groove in the pin where it attaches to the machine which means that there will not be any movement at all once attached to the machine. This is good as I do FMQ for hours at a time.






 
This is what it looks like attached to the machine...probably would have been better to take that photo from the side. As you can see the front of the foot is slightly raised...when I started stitching I was not altogether convinced that this foot was going to have good visibility given that it was closed. However, due to it being raised in the front I found that I had no problem whatsoever seeing where I was going ...so off I went...

First I stitched a marked on scroll design to see how it behaved following a line, going backwards up, and down again completing the design on the other side. This foot, in comparison to the Springloaded foot on the Pfaff 4.0 was very precise. I often had some issues with the other foot going backwards, nothing major, just that the thread every now and then went spontaneously from the left side to the right side or vice versa. Not a big issue, but on something like delicate feathers definitely visible. This foot did not behave like that at all and kept on going in a nice straight line keeping the thread consistently to the left of the needle. 


 
Then came the doodling...had to adjust my speed a bit as I am not used to this foot and kept it just in between half and slow speed. I must say that I felt that the quality of my stitching was better on this foot, but am not sure whether I am imaging this or not. Wouldn't it be lovely if we found a foot that gave us instantly better stitches. I still think the only way to improve your stitching is practice, practice, and more practice. My stitches are generally quite good, but I did have the feeling that they were particularly consistent on some of the designs, particularly the microstippling in the corner. Was quite amazed with that. Then, of course, I tried the echoing around shapes...definitely works well, except I have no practice using a round foot and it definitely shows. I am really used to the other square foot with me eyeballing the distances. With this foot I had to really concentrate looking at the round edge and of course, while I was doing that, started to make a few jerky movements here and there. But that will disappear with practice and the the ability to just use the round foot as a guide will be so useful. 

Did the feather on the slowest setting and found that it was equally as good as the Spring loaded foot both in terms of the visibility as well as in the execution of the stitching, so overall I was very happy with this foot.
Will give it a bit of a workout in the near future as I will have to complete my Wholecloth feather quilt. Need to quilt the background and will probably do some microstippling to flatten it out. I am also working on some new designs for some quilts...as usual too many ideas all at once...definitely will need to do some planning.

Until next time

Karin

2 comments:

  1. I commented on this earlier and I don't know what happened! Our wifi at work has been so funky for the last 3 weeks! Guess I shouldn't be looking at blogs at work! Haha! But you stitching looks beautiful as always and that foot looks interesting. I don't have a Pfaff so I don't think I'll get to try that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to find your review of the Pfaff dynamic spring foot. Wish I would have seen it when you posted in January. I just started using it and I am really impressed and I noticed a lot of the same things you did. I had trouble with the square spring foot and the sensormatic foot was a bit tempermental. I just finished quilting swirls on a wallhanging and did not have one problem and I really think my stitching is better. Great review and I was wondering if it would be ok with you if I linked this post to my blog so my followers can see your review as well. Your stitching is just beautiful and your feathering is amazing. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts