Monday 21 January 2019

Basting Day

I have tried spray basting, but continue to go back to pin basting. Still doing the old 'crawling' around on the floor. Thought I show you how I pin baste on the pieced backing of that very pastel quilt I am doing.

I first tape the backing to the floor keeping it taut, but not stretched. As I got tiles in the kitchen area, I align my backing with the tiles and mark the centre of the quilt top both vertically and horizontally.
Given that this is a scrappy pieced backing I used heaps of tape to keep the backing seams nice and straight. After layering the batting, I then take the folded quilt top and align it with the centre points at the top leaving an approximate 3 in space on the top and on the side. I spend a bit of time on this to get it right so that when I unfold it will sit straight and does need to be done again (as so often happens!).
At this point I also ensure that none of my seams are folded over when I smooth it all out. Then it's on to the pinning...
I start from the centre out to the sides horizontally and vertically and then diagonally across. I probably use pins excessively but I must say that I have never had a pucker yet. I would say I approximately pin every 4in.
Once that is done I also pin around the edges. This quilt has no border so it is important that the edges do not bow out.

View of the back once I take the quilt off the floor
The other thing I do is fold the edges over and loosely attach some pins...that is not really necessary but I somehow got used to this to keep the fraying of the fabric at bay due to handling when I am quilting...makes for a nice, neat package 
Now it's on to the quilting...

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts