Wednesday 23 January 2019

Floral FMQ Design

How many times do you sit starring at your quilt wondering what to quilt over it? And how many times do you think of a design, but then decide that it is too complicated, too time consuming or too risky to try?
Believe me, even if you are a more experienced freemotion quilter, that happens with every single quilt for me. 
I was looking at my pastel quilt and initially just wanted to quickly do a meander over it and be done with it. However, it did speak to me asking for something different, more dainty, floral and cutesy. Tried to ignore it, but kept coming back to it...

I have this really good book called 'Machine Quilting Solutions' by Christine Maraccini that has a number of beautiful designs in there. I like this book as Christine illustrates her designs on the one quilt in 3 different modes...the dragger (quilt that is going to get more than average use by being dragged around), the keepsake (special, but you don't want to spend too much time on it) and the showstopper (prized heirloom). Lots of leafy, floral and swirly designs...great resource with step-by-step illustrations.
Well, I ended up choosing the Cotton Blossom fill. It is absolutely perfect for this little quilt, but I was somewhat hesitant, as doing overall leafy fills are not as easy as they look. I nearly did not do it, fearing that I would stuff it up, not get it right, make it look awful etc...you know the drill!

Glad I persisted and overcame the voice of my inner quilt police...it actually does not matter greatly whether this turns out and with some concentration there is no reason why this should not work.

So, off I went...and it looks beautiful! I am trialling a different thread also...after having stitched with my trusted Aurifil thread for the last year or so to get used to the Handiquilter Sweet 16, I am finally ready to venture out a bit. I am using Superior Omni thread in a dusty pink colour. Have a whole cone of it that was part of the package when I bought the machine. I am using it in both bobbin and top (Needle size 16) because I want the quilting to show on the back of the quilt as well. To my surprise it worked like a dream...
Done about a quarter of it and yes, it is a bit challenging to keep the area consistently covered but I like the way this design complements the quilt. Should be interesting when it is all finished. Planning also on a striped binding to jazz this up a bit. 

Karin

1 comment:

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts