Sunday 24 May 2020

Heartfelt Wholecloth Progress

Working steadily away on the Heartfelt Wholecloth, a project that came out of the Handiquilter Ruler of the Month Club 5.

After finishing the frame and doing the grids I was ready to fill in the center
Center filled in with pebbles and some freehand straight line work
Did some more straight lines around the hearts which was easy enough. Now came the hard part...lots of tiny lines with the HQ Matchstick Ruler (1/8in) all around the odd shaped Flying Geese. That looked like a real hassle and involved an extraordinary amount of travelling along previously stitched lines. When I started off I did single lines, travelling back over wherever I landed. I soon discovered that this was not the way to go about this as I sometimes had to travel along the Flying Geese, sometimes at the bottom and sometimes on the top wavy line which prevented me from working out a way to systematically stitch this out. In the end I decided to double-stitch the lines (which for me is literally unheard off), i.e. down and up again, travelling only on the upper wavy line to the next spot, leaving some areas uncovered. Came back to these uncovered areas on the second path, travelling on the lower wavy line. This probably does not make a lot of sense, but suffice to say, this was a hassle and a half and took a while to complete.
I finally completed that part and am happy to report that the world did not come to an end because of the double-stitched lines, in fact I can hardly see it. The whole piece is looking more and more like the real thing
After this I filled in the last lot of spaces with some more circles and now I only have to do some piano keys in the wavy sections (on the right above) and then 'only' need to do some background fillers to complete the wholecloth.

Its looking lovely...not entirely correct in some places but the psychedelic silk is making up for that.
I must say that this is the way to go with the Ruler of the Month Clubs, i.e. stitching out a project to go with those particular rulers. I have used every one of the rulers intensely plus a few others (circles and straight line rulers) and it does help you to really become familiar with the rulers in terms of holding them, whether you need more or less grip in places and using multiple parts of the same ruler. Really enjoying this (when I am not cursing about those tiny lines) and learning a lot.

Not that I want to advertise, but there is a Ruler of the Month Club 6 out which also has a project attached to it. That one looks way simpler...I think it is a great way to get your confidence up with rulers. I am not doing the Ruler of the Month Club 6 as I really have enough rulers for the time being. Famous last words...already wondering whether there will be a number 7.

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts