Tuesday 12 May 2020

Let's Do Some Ruler Work #11

I have this piece of silk that I was saving for something, not sure what, so it has been sitting around in my stash for some years by now. The problem with silk for me is the marking, still not entirely sure what people use, however I finally put it to good use, stitching out the Heartfelt Wholecloth Quilt  designed by Kelly Ashton using all the rulers of the Handiquilter Ruler of the Month Club 5 (as this meant minimal marking). No better way to get used to some of these rulers then to use them in an actual project. I ended up marking the silk with a fine chalk pencil, thinking that this was going to come off with some heat...not sure how I got mixed up but that is actually not the case, so I am going to have these lines in there. Hopefully they will be quilted over or rub off with time. If worst comes to worst, I will have to wash this thing when it is finished.

So I made a start with the Double Heart Ruler and promptly had to do it again as my hearts kept overlapping which I did not like. Found the ruler quite challenging actually as it is just that little bit chunky. Also was using the stitch regulator for some practice which added some difficulty, however I got there in the end. The silk itself is very forgiving which surprised me a bit. Really enjoying stitching on silk (using Aurifil 50/2 thread in a coordinating colour).
So far, so good, except there were no measurements in the instructions, so I felt that I was doing this a bit blind. I was supposed to stitch another hexagon around the center going from circle to circle and initially my hexagon was going to end up somewhat misshapen. Had to improvise a bit and make it fit to  come out with an accurate hexagon shape.
This has taken most of the day. Managed to get the hexagon around the center and then tackled the wavy line. You can see above some of the rulers used so far (from left to right: Half Carat Diamond Ruler, Double Heart Ruler and the Wavy Line Ruler). I was dreading the wavy line a bit because I already knew it would not fit neatly into my space. I usually draw out my wholecloth quilts so that I can work out how things fit into spaces as I am not really good at just winging it. Must say this was an excellent exercise for me and I finally 'got it', i.e. how to assess in a roundabout way how this was going to fit and then, while going along, ever so slightly shifting the ruler over to make up that 1/4in that I needed to keep the corners approximately the same. Then I echoed around it which was surprisingly easy, although I went at absolute snail pace to get that right.
A close up of my handiwork
Not exact by any means but workable. Really enjoying the challenge. 
Here is another photo of the psychodelic silk. It shimmers all sorts of colours..this probably comes closest to what it actually looks like.

Now it is time for the Linky. Would be great to see what other people are working on with rulers. If you are currently working on something that involves rulers or have an old post, please consider sharing. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter
Karin

1 comment:

  1. Your quilting is beautiful! I love seeing what you're working on!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts