Saturday 13 April 2013

Kim Bradley Workshop

Went to a great FMQ Workshop on Friday.

The workshop was run by Australian longarm quilter Kim Bradley (Kim Bradley Creations) who hails from Sydney and has featured at the Houston Quilt Show with her art piece, Feather Fantasy, a wall hanging enhanced with Derwent Inktense pencils (not sure I have seen that one but have come across her beautiful quilting on one of the local quilts and also seen some of her art work in the quilt shows over here). The workshop was held in what used to be a monastery, now being used for student accommodation, I believe.

Beautiful surroundings and gorgeous weather...the gardens were really nice. So peaceful...


 
This was a day long workshop. My local sewing shop which hosted the event organised this beautifully with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided...just great. The day, of course, went very fast...

We were taken through quilting some simple but effective designs with our walking foot...something I do not do very often anymore at all....I actually found this quite difficult. We did some basic Clamshell designs in different sizes and also quilted the Apple Core design and used the walking foot to create some magical simple echo designs.

After that we tried some FMQ using a basic grid and literally just doodled over it trying out different shapes and designs. That was good fun and reminded me that it does not always have to be this complex and intense ...often simple, unassuming designs are really effective. Some women in the group further enhanced their samples with using the decorative stitches on their machines when using the walking foot (e.g. when quilting the clamshell design...that looked really good). Then went on to do some Victorian Feather quilting which was good fun (finished this in the evening). Amongst all this, lots of really interesting discussions about all things 'quilting'.

My efforts for the day


I love attending workshops...unfortunately not that many FMQ workshops are run in my area, so when they do come up, I make a point of going.

And yes, of course, I purchased something...a little Apple Core and Clamshell template. I could have used the Clamshell one the other month when I did my Japanese Table Runner. I bought the smaller size...which will be just right for an overall design for a table runner, I reckon.

Linking up to FMQ Friday at the Freemotion Quilting Project

Karin

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your quilting so AWESOME! Feathers are getting so beautiful. Love it!

    The place does looks like very serene.
    Glad to know you fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great workshop! I love them too and doing get to go nearly as much as I would like. That's a lovely set of quilting patterns. Bet you do something really spiffy with your new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bet you were the star of the class! As always, beautifully done;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts