Tuesday 9 July 2019

Handiquilter Sweet 16 - 2 Years On

I have had my machine for just about 2 years by now and I thought it might be helpful/useful for people to hear about my experience with this machine.

I think what came as a huge surprise to me was that it was not just a matter of sitting down and fmq as usual...I had not expected this and it threw me to no end. You can read about my experience HERE and HERE. Definitely was a steep learning curve for me!
After a few months with the machine at the same level as my cutting table (which gave me a huge area to shift the quilt around on) I had to put my cutting table higher as I could not cut at that height (gave me huge back issues). Finally tackled that issue when my machine went for service and I started to re-organise my sewing space. I did get the right extension flap to extend the HQ table to create more space for resting a quilt on without the cutting table (and all the bitses on there) being in the way. Also did some more research on the height of the HQ table and raised mine by one whole adjustment. It is now sitting at 74cm where most sewing tables sit.
Now have oodles of space both to the left and right. I like the extension flaps as they are big enough to support your quilt when quilting, but not big enough to start using it as a rubbish dump for all sorts of things (as often happens when you have additional surface area in your sewing space).

The other thing I did was to lower my machine a fraction into the table by using the Handiquilter replacement 'stick on' feet. This has created an absolutely flat sewing bed which of course is so much better for ruler work. Prior to that the needle plate of my machine was ever so slightly sticking out above the overlay which made the ruler wobble in certain positions.
The machine was stitching well before it went for service...I had absolutely no issues with tension or skipped stitches etc., just a lot of stitches on the clock. OMG, when it came back it sounded completely different and runs even more dreamlike. I am so impressed! When I took it in, the dealer said my foot was too high, so when it came back the foot was slightly lowered. Was a bit worried about this as I thought my height was just fine. I did have a bit of a practice run with the rulers on the normal closed foot and everything was working like it should, however I did notice that slipping above the foot was now much easier to do. As time has gone on, I have become better and faster at the ruler work and after some deliberation, I decided to buy the Sure foot for the machine. The Sure foot has a higher profile, so it is like an added insurance to prevent the ruler slipping above and hitting the needle. I thought in the end that it was better to be safer, particularly as I was now more used to rulers and quilting much faster than before. Just not worth it...if the ruler hits the needle it knocks the timing out and your machine most likely will have to go for service.
So, I bought the Sure foot

Definitely much better...the ruler sits firmly against the extended profile and I actually found it much easier to quilt with the ruler, probably because I did not have to worry about possible flipping so much. I was quilting a fairly puffy piece with lots of unruly seams where you sometimes then hold the ruler a bit awkwardly...absolutely no problem, as there is no way it could flip above.
Also wondered about the visibility around this foot. Again, no problem at all as you are looking from above into the foot, so I could see very well. Actually left it on and did all those tiny pebbles with the Sure Foot as well. Might have been my imagination, but my pebbles were much nicer and rounder quilted with this foot.
So, overall, super impressed and happy with my purchases and re-organisation. Just goes to show how important the overall set up is.

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts