Friday 19 July 2019

Resources

Took a break from my quilt today...

Hopefully you are all aware that Bluprint is having a few days of being able to watch their classes for free. I did watch a couple of ‘Quilt It - The Longarm Quilting Show’. Had no idea that that was on there. Very enjoyable indeed.

Also wanted to give a shout out to the Online Quilting Magazine...I have been a subscriber for years. It’s free, unless you go for the premium version, and gets delivered to your Inbox monthly. It’s full of  information, there is always a project to consider or a particular block that is showcased, handy tips, and also features a ‘sharing section’.

Ebooks...are you watching out for the half price sale on ebooks at C & T Publishing. I just picked up Amanda Murphy’s Organic Freemotion Quilting Idea Book...love her books, they are very well laid out with lots of pictures and instructions, yet easy to look at. There is a lot in this little book, too much to mention, however what I particularly like about this book is the amount of detail. Amanda introduces the design, then shows it as an overall design, in different shapes like a triangle and then also shows the design in a block, sashing or border. I find this very useful and the designs are suitable for any experience level.

And then of course there is the Quilt Show...have been watching a few of their shows of late. Have been particularly inspired by Claudia Pfeil’s Quilting Design Show- all about different fillers. Have watched this a number of times now and today had a go at trying her methods. In her show it appeared absolutely effortless, no particular plan just quilting away filling the empty spaces. Doubted that that was actually achievable...well, I am a planner, so I had to give this a try.

Here is my doodle

Don’t look at the stitching...it is pretty bad in places, i am just doodling along. I followed what she was doing, i.e. hopping from one circle to the next, not necessarily completing a full design at any stage, but coming back to it later. To travel around the arrangement I used different fillers to get to the next space...this worked surprisingly well, I must say...absolutely no planning other that drawing the circles on the fabric. Discovered that I would have to make the echo in the circle smaller for myself ...that area was just too large, but that’s easily changed and can be done on a smaller scale (Claudia Pfeil was demonstrating on a longarm). My background fillers left a lot to be desired, particularly my misshapen Greek Key thingy. Saw Helen Golden do this the other day, however my brain cannot cope with that, it seems. Just lines, pebbles and maybe the old circuit breaker design would look good, I think.
Would actually also look good with hexagons as the central feature...need to try this one day.

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Very much appreciated! I will endeavour to answer all comments via email. Please check that you are not a no-reply blogger as there is no way of responding to you (other than by reply on the blog). If you need help with this issue, please head for Tutorials for a link on how to fix this issue.

Popular Posts